Author Topic: English language is mumbo-jumbo and hodge-podge  (Read 29237 times)

Offline Hopeful Faithful

• How can there be any earthly consecrated orthodox bishops during the age of this Great Apostasy?
  • Elder
  • An Old Faith Flag
    • Stranniki
  • Faith: Russian old Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Stranniki
English language is mumbo-jumbo and hodge-podge
« on: July 22, 2007, 06:59:59 PM »
Greetings Everyone,

The mamby-pamby argument which suggests that the mumbo-jumbo, hodge-podge language known as English was ever accepted as inspired language for worship, prayer or scripture is false. English  is not capable of reproducing adequately the sublime conceptions or relations of God. Also, English is most unable to offer the subtler, and more complex religious ideas for which true godly language is known for. Most people can know that when really attempting to learn the truth that it is needful to use an ancient language. Even modern science uses older languages.

I offer references here which do tell the truth about this issue.

The truth is that witches (pagans) were the source of the English language and today modern English is a mixture of nearly every aberrant language. Here are a few references which show how English has never been more than an unchristian language.

"English arrived on the scene like a furry from hell...by fearless fighting pagan men."
The Adventure of English by Melvyn Bragg, page 1 (see also page 8)
Christians are soldiers of Christ, as opposed to Pagans.

"As elsewhere in medieval Europe, writing was in the hands of clerics, who often had strong views about what was proper to record, so that we learn little about the heathen English from their writings...pagan lore has...remained fossilized in the language."
The English Language: A Historical Introduction by Charles Barber, page 106

The author here says that English is, "from a Christian point of view...pagan mumbo-jumbo."
A History of English Words by Geoffrey Hughes page 170

Here is a reference from the Latin source of the Seven Ecumenical Councils in the Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers which admits in the footnotes that, “It is impossible in English to reproduce the play upon the words…” so we all should soberly consider that. It is footnote 526 here:

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf214.xvi.viii.html

English, like so many devilish languages, simply does not have integrity. The Ten Commandments were given in the 70 inspired languages which God gave the human race at Babel. This shows that the natural law is for all mankind. Today we have over 200 neo-languages which are corruptions of the devil and traditions of men. The neo-orthodox should at least take note of their Theophan the Recluse who was chastised by his fellow bishops because he translated their sacred texts into the modern Russian language. Sadly they already had Latinized the Slavonic.

There are plenty of official documents which confirm to us when Paskha should be celebrated. Likewise there is more than enough evidence to show that English is devilish, but no good references telling us to use such devilish languages for worship, prayer or scripture. We will find references that supposedly translate inspired texts into English but such sources are truly heretical and misleading at best.

Neo-orthodox like Fr. Ephraim never would allow anything but the ancient Greek in his services, sadly he thinks that it is possible to change the Greek American practices.

I will soon be making a section on my site title “Sacred Language” which will offer undeniable proof, evidences, facts and the truth about the differences between holy and unholy languages, so be looking for that.

Forgive, John

HIS Judgment Cometh, And That Right Soon! Mark 13:35

If any man be ignorant, let him alone be ignorant (at his own peril). 1 Cor. 14:38

Let us all hope to be found a faithful, loving bond-slave of Christ on the soon approaching Last Day.

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
Re: English language is mumbo-jumbo and hodge-podge
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 07:02:59 PM »
Then please post in Swahili.
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 07:10:38 PM »
זה בדיחה. בוא ב, מתוודה.
Is est a iocus. Adveho in sursum.
αυτό είναι ένα αστείο. έλα επάνω πάνω.

Sorry, something is lost in the translation, it makes the most sense in English. Hebrew, Latin, and Greek are just too inferior to precisely reproduce what I'm trying to say. Hebrew, Latin and Greek are such clumsy languages.  :P
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 07:17:23 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 07:26:44 PM »
Ok, and I can't help but point out that it's a little strange that someone who thinks that electricity is evil: 1) uses a computer; 2) uses the internet; 3) has his own website, 4) has AIM, MSN and YIM (!), and 5) posts on internet discussion boards (and my guess would be also does a lot of research online). And now we find out that you drive automobiles!?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 07:28:02 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline ctoe

• Searching
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 07:40:17 PM »
Modern science uses Greek and Latin roots not so much because these languages were divinely inspired and therefore necessary in the pursuit of science. These languages are used today due to an accident of history. Educated persons in Europe were expected to know Greek and Latin. When early European scientists first began to put down their treatises in writing, they did so in a vernacular that an Englishman, Frenchman, and German could understand.

Modern scientific terms could have easily arisen from Chinese, Japanese, or Sanskrit.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 07:55:02 PM »
John,

If English is evil, why don't you learn to speak conversational Slavonic instead?
If the Internet is evil, why do you bother using it?
If the burning of fossil fuels is evil, why are you pictured driving a motor vehicle?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 08:01:38 PM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline TinaG

• I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
  • High Elder
  • If only my family were this normal !
    • Cometh at Midnight Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 07:55:59 PM »
I have to say that I hadn't taken a look at your website My Martyrdom till just now John and it really reaffirmed why I find the internet such a hoot.   Evil dogs John?  Satanic electricity (but I'm sure there have been no murders or infidelities committed by flickering Godly candlelight).  Well, when you decide to make a graceful bow from the ungodly modern world and go off to herd sheep in the mountains, my advice is cats.  Cats are clean and can be trained for shepherding work similar to border collies.
On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 08:04:19 PM »
I find the internet such a hoot

I gotta believe that this is satire... and even if it isn't, it should be taken as such.  ;D

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
    • Mississippi University for Women
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 08:12:26 PM »
This reminds me of an old joke that was popular in the former USSR of the 1970-s.

Leonid Brezhnev and Jimmy Carter meet in year 2000. They shake hands, hug, sit down and look at each other.

"Yeah, Leonid," - says Carter, melancholically, "now we see what we have done wrong back then, when we were Presidents..."

"Yeah, Jimmy, indeed..."

"How could we so under-estimate the Chinese, Leonid?"

"I don't know, Jimmy, I don't know... What do you think?"

At this moment the meeting was interrupted by the labor camp Guard, Comrade Huang Yaoban. "Hey! You two! Enough slacking! Back to work!!!"

The two men, dressed in striped garbs, rose from the ground and, gnashing their teeth, pushed their wheelbarrows back to the quarry.

(Note. The timing in the joke is, apparently, wrong, but everything else... - ?)

Love never fails.

Offline ctoe

• Searching
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 08:25:14 PM »
@Asteriktos: I'm getting that feeling as well, which is why I deleted the original content of this post.

I'm foolish most of the time anyways. There's no need for another such instance. :D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 08:34:48 PM by ctoe »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 08:44:42 PM »
John,

Your belief that Old Slavonic is God's inspired language appears to be a logical product of the theory that Moscow is the Third Rome.  Why is the Russia of St. Sergei of Radonezh and St. Iosaph the Third Rome?

We in the West have seen the terrible results of what happened when we preached the superiority of Western European culture alongside the Gospel of Jesus Christ, so I must ask:  Must we preach Russian nationalism together with the Gospel to those who are not Russian?  Do not St. Paul's words to the Ephesians (3:26-29) imply that the Gospel transcends nationality and ethnicity?  Did not the Jerusalem Council of Acts 15 declare that Gentile Christians were not to be required to embrace Jewish culture?  Why, then, is it necessary to insist that we embrace ancient Russian culture by preaching that Slavonic is God's language?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 08:48:12 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • St. Chrysostomos the New
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 09:28:07 PM »
Trilingual heresy, anyone?
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 09:31:35 PM »
This wouldn't be a problem if everyone just prayed in Classical Armenian.

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 09:36:50 PM »
Georgian
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • St. Chrysostomos the New
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 09:38:41 PM »
գրաբար !!!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 09:40:21 PM by Anastasios »
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 09:40:20 PM »
գրաբար !!![/size]

Waz da' prob? ...makes about as much sense, no?

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 09:42:52 PM »

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 11:07:57 PM »
Trilingual heresy, anyone?

Oh what's that?  Please explain the term.  I don't recall hearing about that before.  :)

Ebor
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Offline Symeon

• High Elder
  • Radovan Karadzic - Serbian Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2007, 11:24:03 PM »
Oh what's that?  Please explain the term.  I don't recall hearing about that before.  :)

Ebor

The trilingual heresy holds that services can only be held in Latin, Greek, or Hebrew, the three languages on the titulus of Christ's cross.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2007, 11:36:08 PM »
The trilingual heresy holds that services can only be held in Latin, Greek, or Hebrew, the three languages on the titulus of Christ's cross.
I wonder how much the heresy of phyletism has a part to play in deciding which language is "inspired for worship".

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2007, 11:50:43 PM »
The mamby-pamby

Interesting. A dialectical varient on "namby-pamby".  If that is the case, I do not see how it applies to the other thread since the definitions are "1. Insipid and sentimental. 2. Lacking vigor or decisiveness; spineless"

argument which suggests that the mumbo-jumbo, hodge-podge language known as English was ever accepted as inspired language for worship, prayer or scripture is false.

Well along with 'mumbo-jumbo' meaning 'unintelligible' or 'gibberish' which the discussions here are not, at least in the use of the language, it could be argued that English *is* a "hodge-podge" as in "a heterogeneous mixture : Jumble". But the argument has not been that English is an "inspired" language.  But it *is* a language that has worship, prayer and scripture in it.   But since I do not see how that is somehow 'insipid' or 'spineless' it might be possible that the use of some terms, interesting as they may be, is only meant to be some kind of insult to those who do not agree with the OP's personal opinions. Since "an insult is like a drink, it only affects one if it is accepted", such terms if not accepted will not rile those who disagree nor further discussion maybe.

English  is not capable of reproducing adequately the sublime conceptions or relations of God. Also, English is most unable to offer the subtler, and more complex religious ideas for which true godly language is known for. Most people can know that when really attempting to learn the truth that it is needful to use an ancient language. Even modern science uses older languages.

But since you have not established your bona-fides as an expert in English or other languages, why should your assertion on this point matter to others, one wonders.  And perhaps you have not had sublime concepts in English but others have.  As to science using older languages, those are the roots for some terms yes, because languages grow and change.  Otoh, words from other languages have also been taken by science for example "tsunami" which is from the Japanese words for "harbour" and "wave" and refers to a kind of 'tidal wave'.

For entertainment here is a link to Poul Anderson's "Uncleftish Beholding" a short essay on physics written with only words of germanic origin:
http://www.grijalvo.com/Citas/Peculiar_English.htm
not "atoms" but "unclefts" (think to "cleave" as in to split)  not "science" but "worldken"

The truth is that witches (pagans)

Ah, thank you, a definition of what a word means to you.  So witch="pagan"?  Do you also hold that "Pagan" = "witch" that all who are/were "pagan" are necessarily "witches"? 

Thank you for the quotes. I shall look for information on the books and the authors to find out how qualified they might be and are the books written with some particular angle or hobby-horse. Do you have the dates of publication on these works?  Are they books that you have read personally?

Here is a reference from the Latin source of the Seven Ecumenical Councils in the Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers which admits in the footnotes that, “It is impossible in English to reproduce the play upon the words…” so we all should soberly consider that. It is footnote 526 here:

I read it.  And the footnote has the original words in Greek which I do not read well at all.  Perhaps Aristokles or someone else here would be so good as to put them in English letters or translate, but from what I could puzzle out it looks like the "play on words" has to do with how the Greek words are used for a specific affect *in that particular sentence* that does not carry to another language.  That is not the same thing as an entire language being unable to speak of God and the Scriptures. 

English, like so many devilish languages, simply does not have integrity.

And your meaning of "integrity" is?  please? 

The Ten Commandments were given in the 70 inspired languages which God gave the human race at Babel.

What are these 70 inspired languages please?  Could you provide a list or a link?  thank you in advance.  And where might this tale of the Ten Commandments in many languages  be found please?  I do not recall it being in any part of the Old Testament. I only know of God giving the Ten Commandments to Moses and the passages in the books of Exodus and Deuteronomy.

Ebor
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2007, 11:53:12 PM »

ah.  Thank you very much for the explaination.  I appreciate your doing so.  Well, that would rather eliminate Russian, it seems to me. And what of St. Patrick learning Irish? Or St.s Cyril and Methodius? or...  ;) 

Ebor

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2007, 11:55:46 PM »
I wonder how much the heresy of phyletism has a part to play in deciding which language is "inspired for worship".

A good question.  :)  Another case of "The way I like/do things is the One Right and True Way(tm)" maybe?  Another common Human trait of the ways *my* group does things are good, those done by the "Other" are not.  Xenophobic in a way, it could be.

Ebor

Offline Tamara

• Archon
  • +Pray for Orthodox Unity+
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2007, 12:26:03 AM »
I think the moderators could start a section called, The Onion Dome Live,
with threads such as this one! LOL! Tooooo funny!
:D :D :D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 12:28:03 AM by Tamara »

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2007, 12:59:45 AM »
Marhaba Yahya,

Ahlan wa sahlan! Keifa halak? Hal tattahadath al'arabiyya? Laa? I guess we'll  need to continue this conversation in the develish language of English then...

Salaam wa fi aman Allah,

Jibra'il

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2007, 01:08:46 AM »
I think the moderators could start a section called, The Onion Dome Live,
with threads such as this one! LOL! Tooooo funny!
:D :D :D
So you're familiar with the writings of a Mrs. Jan Bear, roving reporter for the Onion Dome?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 01:10:19 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline Tamara

• Archon
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2007, 01:27:31 AM »
Marhaba Yahya,

Ahlan wa sahlan! Keifa halak? Hal tattahadath al'arabiyya? Laa? I guess we'll  need to continue this conversation in the develish language of English then...

Salaam wa fi aman Allah,

Jibra'il

Marhabtain Jibra'il,

Ahlan bekum. Mubsoot el hamdu lillah. Keef halak habbibi?
My Arabic is weak, so yes...this inferior form of language will have to do....hee, hee, hee!

As Salam 'alaykoum, Tumrah  ;)

Offline Tamara

• Archon
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2007, 01:33:38 AM »
So you're familiar with the writings of a Mrs. Jan Bear, roving reporter for the Onion Dome?

Yes...I enjoy her perspective on the idiosyncrasies of Orthodoxy. I think this thread is fertile fodder for her next installment.  ;)

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2007, 01:37:00 AM »
Yes...I enjoy her perspective on the idiosyncrasies of Orthodoxy. I think this thread is fertile fodder for her next installment.  ;)
I might have to let her know this next weekend, since Jan and I are members of the same parish.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2007, 01:51:53 AM »
Marhabtain Jibra'il,

Ahlan bekum. Mubsoot el hamdu lillah. Keef halak habbibi?
My Arabic is weak, so yes...this inferior form of language will have to do....hee, hee, hee!

As Salam 'alaykoum, Tumrah  ;)

As Salaamu 'alaykum, Tumrah!

Keefa halik, ya akhti? Mubsoot al hamdu lillah, jazilan.

ma'asalaam wa fi aman Allah, ya habibti....

Jibra'il
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Hopeful Faithful

• How can there be any earthly consecrated orthodox bishops during the age of this Great Apostasy?
  • Elder
  • An Old Faith Flag
    • Stranniki
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2007, 02:10:44 AM »

Greetings Peter,

I would refer everyone to my page about humor, etc.

http://MyMartyrdom.com/aac.htm

If any man be ignorant, let him alone be ignorant (at his own peril). 1 Cor. 14:38

Let us all hope to be found a faithful, loving bond-slave of Christ on the soon approaching Last Day.

Offline Hopeful Faithful

• Elder
  • An Old Faith Flag
    • Stranniki
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2007, 02:11:22 AM »

Greetings Peter,

As I hope to have already explained well enough, phyletism is heresy and something which the strict Old Believers have no part in whatsoever. The only criteria for inspired worship is for it to be in spirit and truth. We cannot make the claim that English is in the spirit or the truth.

Forgive, John

Offline Hopeful Faithful

• Elder
  • An Old Faith Flag
    • Stranniki
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2007, 02:12:38 AM »
John,

Your belief that Old Slavonic is God's inspired language appears to be a logical product of the theory that Moscow is the Third Rome.  Why is the Russia of St. Sergei of Radonezh and St. Iosaph the Third Rome?

We in the West have seen the terrible results of what happened when we preached the superiority of Western European culture alongside the Gospel of Jesus Christ, so I must ask:  Must we preach Russian nationalism together with the Gospel to those who are not Russian?  Do not St. Paul's words to the Ephesians (3:26-29) imply that the Gospel transcends nationality and ethnicity?  Did not the Jerusalem Council of Acts 15 declare that Gentile Christians were not to be required to embrace Jewish culture?  Why, then, is it necessary to insist that we embrace ancient Russian culture by preaching that Slavonic is God's language?

Greetings Peter,

I believe that the pure Old Slavonic is one of God's inspired languages, but it is not a product of Moscow being the Third Rome. Slavonic was partly a product of the good old Greeks. The Russia of St. Sergei of Tadonezh is the Third Rome due to the fact that Russia maintained the Orthodoxy.

It is Faith and practice, not merely an empire, that matters, without right faith and practice Russia would have no meaning whatever. I wonder what St. Iosaph you are talking about? It is not Russian culture or nationalism that must be given, but right faith and right practice is the only hope. So I do not adhear to a particular nationality simply for nationality or ethnic sake. What the Jerusalem Council unequivically declared was that the law given to the Jews for their disobedience with the calf was not for the rest of the world, but the natural law was in fact given to the whole world. So again, I do not insist that we embrace ancient Russian culture, saying that Slavonic is God's langauge is not saying that. You twist my words totally.

Forgive, John

Offline Hopeful Faithful

• Elder
  • An Old Faith Flag
    • Stranniki
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2007, 02:13:02 AM »
John,

If English is evil, why don't you learn to speak conversational Slavonic instead?
If the Internet is evil, why do you bother using it?
If the burning of fossil fuels is evil, why are you pictured driving a motor vehicle?

Greetings Peter,

English is a language of witches and not of God, I am learning the pure Old Slavonic.
I was raised up and trained in the Internet age, I will soon stop using it.
Again, I was born and raised in this fossil age, I will soon stop using it too.

Forgive, John

Offline Nacho

• OC.net guru
  • The face of Corporate America
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2007, 02:39:28 AM »
^^Yo son, that's some nice logic you got goin' on there...  ;D  It seems to contradict the approach and great lengths the apostles went to spread Christianity throughout the Roman Empire. The apostle Paul would wisely use the philosophical leanings of the pagans and make a sound Christian apologetic from it showing Christ to others. Like Christ, the apostles understood the failings of man and would meet people at THEIR level. This is even so when it comes to issues of language (please show me anywhere in early church history or the NT where a stipulation or emphasis was placed on worship when it comes to language). Even to this day, Orthodoxy has respected the values, language, and customs of other cultures. Missionaries would typically spend years learning these things even before sharing the gospel with people. I'm not trying to stomp out your 'hate english' parade you have going on, but it's something to ponder and think about since your beliefs seem to be in stark contrast to how Christianity has always operated. Even if what you are saying is true, it doesn't even matter. Didn't the Church even 'redeem' certain pagan celebrations by purposely placing important Christian events (such as Christmas) on those same dates? Don't you see this principle of redemption at work?
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2007, 02:41:02 AM »
I would refer everyone to my page about humor, etc.
What you have yet to establish is why anyone here should look to you as an authority on anything.  No one will care what you have to say about humor until you show us what credibility you have as a teacher.

I believe that the pure Old Slavonic is one of God's inspired languages, but it is not a product of Moscow being the Third Rome.
If not, than on what other foundation do you base your claim that Slavonic is an inspired language, if there even is such a thing as an inspired language?

Slavonic was partly a product of the good old Greeks.
The Cyrillic written language that Ss. Cyril and Methodios based on Slavonic, maybe, but the Slavs were speaking Slavonic even before they received these missionaries, while they were yet pagan.

The Russia of St. Sergei of Tadonezh is the Third Rome due to the fact that Russia maintained the Orthodoxy.

It is Faith and practice, not merely an empire, that matters, without right faith and practice Russia would have no meaning whatever.
What is the definition of this "Orthodoxy"?  Are you aware that the Greeks ultimately revoked the Union of Florence, something the edition of Bp. Kallistos Ware's The Orthodox Church that you quote on your web site does not mention?  Are you aware that Bp. Kallistos has since had published a later edition of this book that corrects this omission?

I wonder what St. Iosaph you are talking about?
Are you familiar with the conflict between the Possesors and the Non-Possessors of 16th Century Russia?  St. Iosaph was the leader of the Possessors who ended up defeating the Non-Possessors and squelching their influence on medieval Russia.  As I mentioned several days ago on the Old Believers thread (Link to my post), I see the Old Believers representing St. Iosaph's emphasis on external rules and strict discipline in liturgical prayer vs. the more mystical and personal prayer advocated by his opponent St. Nilus, each representing one side of what I see as the spiritual legacy of St. Sergius.

What the Jerusalem Council unequivically declared was that the law given to the Jews for their disobedience with the calf was not for the rest of the world, but the natural law was in fact given to the whole world.
Is this how you understand the Law God gave Moses on Mt. Sinai, that it was given merely in response to Aaron's and the Israelites' sin with the golden calf?  The main issue before the Apostolic Council of Acts 15 was whether the Gentile Christians needed to be circumcised in accordance with a tradition that God gave Abraham, the ancestor of the Israelites, who preceded Moses by about 500 years.

So again, I do not insist that we embrace ancient Russian culture, saying that Slavonic is God's langauge is not saying that.
You don't see that it is?

English is a language of witches and not of God, ...
You keep repeating this statement as if it's some kind of mantra, yet you have not yet given us any kind of satisfactory defense of how this is so, such a defense as that for which Ebor asked in these posts from this thread and the Old Believers thread:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,12138.msg166108.html#msg166108

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,12241.msg166183.html#msg166183
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 03:09:42 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline Despina

• Nacho Average Greek Girl!!
  • ;)
    • My Website
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2007, 10:52:28 AM »
Einai ola Ellinika gia mena.

Offline Hopeful Faithful

• Elder
  • An Old Faith Flag
    • Stranniki
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2007, 11:20:13 AM »
Then please post in Swahili.

For some of the same reasons that I do not post in the pure Old Slavonic.

Offline Hopeful Faithful

• Elder
  • An Old Faith Flag
    • Stranniki
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2007, 11:28:47 AM »
זה בדיחה. בוא ב, מתוודה.
Is est a iocus. Adveho in sursum.
αυτό είναι ένα αστείο. έλα επάνω πάνω.

Sorry, something is lost in the translation, it makes the most sense in English. Hebrew, Latin, and Greek are just too inferior to precisely reproduce what I'm trying to say. Hebrew, Latin and Greek are such clumsy languages.  :P

At the end of this world the sane will be called crazy and those that are crazy will think they are sane.

I would make the case that we are all crazy, in different ways and to varrying degrees.

Offline Hopeful Faithful

• Elder
  • An Old Faith Flag
    • Stranniki
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2007, 11:33:15 AM »
Ok, and I can't help but point out that it's a little strange that someone who thinks that electricity is evil: 1) uses a computer; 2) uses the internet; 3) has his own website, 4) has AIM, MSN and YIM (!), and 5) posts on internet discussion boards (and my guess would be also does a lot of research online). And now we find out that you drive automobiles!?

Everyone has to start somewhere. I am at an introductory level to the strict Old Believers. As I make my way of escape, because I do care very much for all the people I have had contact with, I will make one last effort to warn everyone of the dangers around us. It will not be long before I make the next step. You are simply meeting me now while I am at this point.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2007, 11:33:49 AM »
I would make the case that we are all crazy, in different ways and to varrying degrees.

No arguments from me on that one :)

Offline Hopeful Faithful

• Elder
  • An Old Faith Flag
    • Stranniki
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2007, 11:40:38 AM »
Modern science uses Greek and Latin roots not so much because these languages were divinely inspired and therefore necessary in the pursuit of science. These languages are used today due to an accident of history. Educated persons in Europe were expected to know Greek and Latin. When early European scientists first began to put down their treatises in writing, they did so in a vernacular that an Englishman, Frenchman, and German could understand.

Modern scientific terms could have easily arisen from Chinese, Japanese, or Sanskrit.

Everyone has their perspectives. An important perspective not to neglect understanding is that there are no real accidents. In Europe people were not even considered educated unless they new more than one langauge. The oldest documented language of Europe is Greek. Modern manmade languages lacked precise terms which required scientists to attempt using ancient languages so that at least some understanding might exist.

Offline Hopeful Faithful

• Elder
  • An Old Faith Flag
    • Stranniki
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2007, 11:44:44 AM »
I have to say that I hadn't taken a look at your website My Martyrdom till just now John and it really reaffirmed why I find the internet such a hoot.   Evil dogs John?  Satanic electricity (but I'm sure there have been no murders or infidelities committed by flickering Godly candlelight).  Well, when you decide to make a graceful bow from the ungodly modern world and go off to herd sheep in the mountains, my advice is cats.  Cats are clean and can be trained for shepherding work similar to border collies.

Thank you for taking the time to look, I put some effort into it. You see, everybody gets at least a few things right. This shows that we all have no excuse for not ultimately seeing all things so clearly.

Offline Hopeful Faithful

• Elder
  • An Old Faith Flag
    • Stranniki
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2007, 11:45:48 AM »
I gotta believe that this is satire... and even if it isn't, it should be taken as such.  ;D

It is all of the devil if you ask me.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2007, 12:17:02 PM »
It is all of the devil if you ask me.
Indeed. Why don't you learn to communicate in sign language? It forces all parties to be attentive (Wisdom! Let us be....) while at the same time you get the benefits of silence. Seems like a match made in Old Believers heaven.